Monday, December 14, 2009

Because My Lists Go To 11: The Top 11 Christmas Songs (that are not White Christmas)

I wanted to make a list of my favorite Christmas songs. White Christmas has been disqualified for being too amazing.

11. All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey

I thought about cutting this one from the list. There were other songs that I really wanted to include instead, but how could I not have this one on the list. It's just so catchy and you can dance to it. Someone always starts singing this when it comes on no matter where you are.

10. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays by NSYNC

Maybe because I am a product of the Golden Age of Boy Bands. I wasn't even an NSYNC fan. My friends were. We totally had a dance to this. I no longer remember it. Even if I did, I would not admit it. Also, Gary Coleman is in the music video. P.S. BSB 4EVER

9. Step Into Christmas by Elton John

Welcome to his Christmas song. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. I have. While selling glow wands.

8. There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays by The Carpenters or Perry Como

Pretty much anyone could sing this song and I'd probably love it, but these are the best.




7. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings by Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLachlan

I have heard these two songs over and over again in church. Don't get me wrong, they're good songs but I don't think I truly appreciated them until I heard the Barenaked Ladies version.

6. Christmastime is Here by Vince Guaraldi Trio

*Honorable mentions: Hark! The Herald Angel Sing and Snoopy's Christmas by The Royal Guardsmen*

I'm cheating here. I didn't want the list to go up to 13 songs so I stuck three in this slot because I thought they fit a theme. Christmastime is Here is classic. It brings a tear to my eye and I say “That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.” One of my Christmas Snoopys plays this song when you squeeze his hand. That's right. I said "one of." When the Peanuts gang give Charlie Brown's tree a little love, they throw their heads back, as only Peanuts characters can do, and hum Hark! The Herald Angel. The people of Bedford Falls also sing it at the end of It's a Wonderful Life (Thank God Janie practiced the song so much). It moves me in both. Linus and Sam Wainwright get me everytime. Hee Haw and Merry Christmas. Since I was going with a theme of A Charlie Brown Christmas, I thought I would throw in Snoopy's Christmas. In it's own way, it's moving as well.





Are you weeping yet?

5. We Need a Little Christmas by Johnny Mathis

My family loves to play this one as we put up the Christmas tree. There is usually some dancing. And by some, I mean lots. There is lots of dancing.

4. Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby

*Honorable mention: Christmas in Killarney*

Another Christmas tradition in my house is playing Mele Kalikimaka on Christmas morning. I've woken up to it and the smell of bacon so many Christmases that I know someday, I'll hear it Christmas morning and wonder why no one is making bacon. I hope that day never comes. Since we let the cassette (back in the day) and CD keep going, we would also listen to Christmas in Killarney but it's not necessarily a tradition. Just a good song. I didn't want to overwhelm the list with Bing, so it just gets an honorable mention.



3. Merry Christmas, Darling by The Carpenters

Karen Carpenter is amazing. Her voice is so beautiful. I just really love this song. Prepare to weep.

2. Peace On Earth/ Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie

Bing and Bowie. Do I really need to say more?

1. Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John & Yoko and the Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir

This is my favorite Christmas song. I accept no substitutes- I'm talking to you, Celine Dion.

If you are not weeping now, your heart is icy then the combined ice hearts of Professor Coldheart, the Winter Warlock and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment